Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
Natarajan Krishnaswami Natarajan Krishnaswami is offline

Default Seasoning vegetables

On 2007-03-25, Vicky Conlan > wrote:
> Ah, sounds ideal, except I forgot to point out I'm in the UK. :-/
> But thank you for responding.

Yeah, I vaguely remembered that, sorry. I figured I'd go ahead and
post about them anyway, since others might find the info useful.
(Although, given the favorable exchange rate, I'm curious whether
ordering from the US might still be competitive.)

So one of the first things I decided to do with the glut of vanilla
was infuse some vinegar. I had a bit of trouble deciding what kind to
use, and settled on sherry vinegar. This may have been a mistake,
given how strongly flavored it already is. And since it's oaked, it
probably already has plenty of vanillin from the wood. Oh well. One
benefit of having such an excess of vanilla beans is that it changes
the question from "why?" to "why not?" -- I can just try again with
another vinegar if this doesn't turn out well. (Or, for that matter,
even if it does!)

N.