Vox Humana

Default Dishwasher rinse & hold cycle

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Vox Humana" > wrote in
> :
>

> > "scorpiogirl" > wrote in message
> > om...
> >> "Viviane" > wrote in message

> > . au>...

> > (like

> > just

> > we

> >> I use the rinse & hold cycle occasionally to clean items that don't
> >> contain food particles & don't need "scrubbing":
> >> clean dusty special occasions items that haven't been used lately
> >> clean vases, figurines & other similar items
> >> clean new items of factory dust & germs

> > I always wonder about how sanitary dishes are after the rinse and hold
> > cycle. I know that some people use this cycle to warm dishes. There
> > is water left in the dishwasher from the previous cycle that might
> > contain food particles. Recently I was using the seam cleaner on the
> > dishwasher around the gasket. I accidentally touched the bottom of
> > the door that is normally out of sight. A large chuck of gelatinous
> > crap came off. Upon further inspection, there the entire bottom of
> > the door was coated with a disgusting layer of black crud. I had to
> > use a plastic putty knife to remove it. I always us the sani-rinse
> > cycle that heats the water to 160F and still what looked like a thick
> > biofilm developed on the door.

> I've battled this stuff for years after I discovered it the first time.
> It seems to happen on almost all dishwashers regardless of the cycles
> used, and as best as I can tell, the sludge seems to be a combination of
> dishwasher detergent and grease. Once I discovered this I began a
> monthly regimen of monthly scrubbing with a light grade scrubby sponge
> which doesn't scratch but does break up the crud. Oddly enough, my
> current dishwasher (a very inexpensive Whirlpool) does not develop this
> problem at all. Having said all that, I'm not sure that this stuff is
> all that dangerous givent that a large component of it is detergent and
> that very hot water is always being jetted throughout the machine. I've
> never seen any of this redeposit on any items being washed or in other
> areas of the dishwasher.

It PROBABLY isn't anything to worry however it was very shocking to see the
amount of crap growing inside my dishwasher. I assume that it escapes the
jets of water due to its location. There might be a niche were the
temperatures don't reach as high as the rest of the dishwasher. I suppose
there are people who work for companies like Kitchenaid who know exactly
what this stuff is.