Joe Doe

Default Cookware Thickness

In article >, "Vox Humana"
> wrote:

> "Joe Doe" > wrote in message
> > In article >, "Douglas Reynolds"
> > > wrote:
> >

> > > Most good/high quality fully-clad cookware (All-Clad Stainless,

> Calphalon
> > > Tri-Ply, Viking, Kitchenaid) has a core not of copper but of aluminum,

> the
> > > same material used for disks. So it appears the question remains.

> > I think the answer lies in what you are trying to cook: The thicker the
> > disk the more heat that can be stored in the disk and so the heat
> > reservoir is larger. This is an advantage for some kinds of cooking.
> > However, it would be a disadvantage if you were making caramel and wanted
> > to stop it at a particular color: here the heat reservoir would be a
> > disadvantage because the pan would not be responsive and the caramel would
> > continue to color because of the large heat reservoir.
> >

> You can immerse the pan in cold water to stop the cooking.

Sure you can. You can learn to cook around any cookware/heat source you
have. If you do it often enough , you could anticipate how much more
coloring you get by residual heat and stop the process early etc. etc.

The original question though asked if there was a theoretical ideal. I
feel there is a theoretical ideal that is better approximated by cookware
with a core extending all the way. As the rest of my original post and
your commentary indicated, practically any cookware is usable for most
cooking tasks by anybody with half a brain who is willing to adjust their
technique to what they have.

Roland