mocha

Default Dishwasher rinse & hold cycle

I grew up in a dishwasherless house, and thus handwashed everything. Even
now with my own house, I've always been one to rinse off my plates/flatware
before putting them in the dishwasher for fear of food concretions requiring
a jack hammer to get off. I know the dishwasher has the rinse/hold cycle
that's supposed to do that for you, but it seems like an extra use of
electricity and water that would be a waste. Does anyone have experience
actually using this cycle, and do you feel it's a more efficient use of
resources versus doing it by hand? Thanks!

JP