Posted to rec.food.cooking
wff_ng_7 wff_ng_7 is offline

Default Are all French ovens Dutch ovens?

"Nancy Young" > wrote:
> "Karen" > wrote
>
>> Saw a Lecrueset "French Oven" at Costco. It looks like a Dutch oven.
>> What is the difference between a French oven and a Dutch oven?
>>
>> Is it a different size or quality? Is it Frenchified somehow?

> (laugh) That's funny. I think French ovens are oval, rather than
> round.

It is funny, but it's simpler than that, I think. It's a French oven because
it's made in France. You wouldn't think a French company would all it a
Dutch oven, would you? ;-) It's a nationalism thing.

Actually, I don't believe they use either term in France. There's another
(French) word for them over there. "Dutch oven" is a generic cooking term
that's been around forever. I think "French oven" is an invention of the
marketeers.

On Le Creuset's USA web site, they use the terms "round oven" and "oval
oven" to describe the two shapes.

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net