Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
[email protected] julian.tai@uk.royalsun.com is offline

Default Japanese Green Tea and L-theanine

Hey guys

To add to the discussion above:

1. The reason green tea and white contain more theanine is because
they tend to be made from young tender shoots. Oolong tea is made from
more mature leaves, which gives them a richer fragrance, but less
theanine.

2. Caffeine is quicker to dissolve in water compared to catechins or
theanine, that is why the first infusion is much richer than caffeine
compared to the other more beneficial chemicals. To answer your
question, later infusion still has the theanine and catechins, but
much less caffeine.

3. Theanine dissolves faster than the other tea tannins. Theanine it
not only calming, it is fresh and sweet tasting. Latter infusion
tastes bitter because there is less theanine in them. So as long as
your tea tastes nice, don't worry, the theanine is there.

The link below contains a discussion on tea chemistry based on
Graham's paper in 1992.

Green Tea Chemical Composition
http://www.amazing-green-tea.com/che...green-tea.html

4. For best type of decaffeinated green tea to drink, check out the
article below:

Decaffeinated Green Tea
http://www.amazing-green-tea.com/caf...green-tea.html

Talking about caffeine and catechins, I had 2.5 grams of dragonwell
yesterday and it keep me wide awake all day! I infuse it four times
and it was still going strong! This stuff is REAL powerful.

Kind regards
Julian