Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Orange Juice Prices Leave Bitter Taste...

"Puester" > wrote in message
> Mark Thorson wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>> Good thing I don't really like orange juice! Wonder why the
>>> grapefruit crops weren't similarly affected?

>> A big part of the reason is that nearly all of the orange
>> production is in Florida and California. However, about
>> a quarter of the grapefruit production in Texas, which
>> produced slightly more grapefruit than California in
>> 2005/6.
>>
>> For the details, see page 94 for oranges and page 76
>> for grapefruit:
>>
>> http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications...ok/FTS2006.pdf

> That aside, I have heard for many years that the bulk of our orange juice
> is made from Brazilian oranges, so why should a U.S. crop failure have
> such an effect on the price of juice?
>
> gloria p

For the same reason you here this on the news:

"Oil jumped $3.00 a barrel on news of renewed violence in Shmengulahari".

Never mind that the violence was as related to oil as a fish is related to a
bicycle. Up goes the price because some futures trader was nervous.