Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
Kate[_4_] Kate[_4_] is offline

Default Seasoning vegetables

"Dick Adams" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> One of my doctors gave me a laundry list of things to do and
> to not do. One was to eat less salt. Another was to eat more
> fruits and vegetables.
>
> It would be difficult for me to eat less salt. A year or so ago
> I salted a very bland piece of salmon and my wife commented that
> it was the first time she had ever seen me salt food. We had
> been together over 25 years when she said that.
>
> I am eating more fruits and vegetables. My usual condiments are
> black pepper from a grinder, ground garlic, ground hot peppers,
> and hot pepper sauce. I recently switched from regular Tabasco
> to their Chipotle variety because it has more of a flavor that
> I like. What is happenning is that I am finding vegetable dishes
> to be bland in spite of these seasonings - even through pepper
> sauce!
>
> What I would appreciate are some suggestions as to condiments
> that bring out the flavor of cooked vegetables and URL's for
> recipes that have distinctive flavoring.
>
> Dick

On the spicy Asian theme, my favourite is a hot, sweet and sour dressing - I
use lime juice, fresh chili/sambal olek, light soy sauce, sesame oil and
plum sauce/sugar but you can play around with the ingredients. It's great to
dress any dark green veg like broccoli or spinach. In the same vein, Madhur
Jaffrey has a nice kohl rabi salad recipe with lemon juice, sugar and
cayenne pepper. Julienne the veg, mix with dressing and top with chopped
peanuts, fresh coridander and fried onions.

Other things that spring to mind are fresh herbs and any sort of pesto.
Basil pesto is good on green beans or peas.

Kate