Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
Natarajan Krishnaswami Natarajan Krishnaswami is offline

Default Seasoning vegetables

On 2007-03-13, Dick Adams > wrote:
>> * Since fruits were mentioned, and since you like spicy food, try
>> cayenne pepper on mango. I've never tried it, but a lot of people like
>> it.

> Laughingly, to me cayenne pepper is hot that hot unless
> concentrated. Habeneros are as hot as they get, but
> they have an awesome flavor if you add just enough to
> get the flavor without being bowled over by the heat.

Knowing that you like habanero is helpful! I was a little nervous
about recommending this, but my Very Favorite chile sauces are
Mountain Man fire-roasted habanero sauce. Since it's habanero, a
little goes a long way (hehe, but I still bought a case; from
http://cosmicchile.com though there are other suppliers online; back
when it was made in NY state (where I live), I would get it at the
local whole food store).

Also, I often use bottled sambal oelek (Indonesian chili sauce, plain
(no garlic, shrimp/trai/etc.)); I could eat it by the spoonful. There
are some Thai chili pastes, made with holy (or sweet) basil. This is
slightly oily, but INCREDIBLE. (I get those from a local Thai/SE
Asian grocery, but they are available online, too.)

You might also try/stock a few different kinds of chile products.
Penzeys Spices (http://penzeys.com) sells crushed dried jalapenos and
Aleppo pepper (not too hot, but beautiful flavor), as well as a myriad
of ground chiles. Finally, Spanish smoked paprika -- not as hot, or
as smoky as ground chipotle -- has a beautiful sweet, hot and savory
flavor. (You can also find a lot of dried or ground chiles at Latin
American groceries, if you prefer.)

>> If I'm eating something like steamed vegetables, I don't find that hot
>> sauce works that well for seasoning - I'd rather have something with a
>> milder flavor. And remember... don't overcook your vegetables!

> Good point.

Not-so-pungent herbs and spices are great with steamed veggies. Dill
seeds, and caraway are some of my favorites. In fact, part of my
dinner tonight was sweet peas warmed with braised onions/oregano/dill
seeds. (Ajwain seeds are highly reminiscent of thyme/oregano, but in
potent seed form; I use that a lot, too.)

Also, expanding on chile oil, when frying spices (e.g., cumin, chile,
coriander (very good with eggplant), fenugreek, cloves (use with
caution ), thyme/ajwain, garlic, etc.), the oil (rather than just
the toasted spices) can also be added to dishes to let the spice
flavors permeate. (Ethiopian niter kebbeh (spiced clarified butter)
is one of my favorites, in this vein.)

> I especially like the recipe for the "Polenta Lasagna with
> Portabellas and Kale". Mushrooms have always been a favorite
> of mine. I found Kale within the last month and it is awesome
> - a fraction of the cost of lettuce and unbelievably more
> flavor. My outrageously picky-eater son likes it too.

Nice!

I had posted a polenta lasagna-like recipe here a few years ago that
you might like to play with:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...da10993fb5281?

If I made it today, I'd augment the polenta with a handful of quinoa
(bumps up the lysine content), and might try a blue cheese sauce
instead of tomato + mozzarella (at least once in a while).

And yes, kale does rock! For a long time, I used it in preference to,
well, almost any other green. Still is a favorite.

Best of luck with your health, and good eating,
N.