Posted to alt.food.wine
der-pizzameister der-pizzameister is offline

Default 'Chianti' Riserva?

filippo wrote:

> I think it might be found interesting, at least by some of you, the
> following link to a Wikipedia page displaying a very handy map
> which compares all the different "Chianti-something" areas:
>
> http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immagin...chianti_it.jpg

Thanks for the interesting contribution.
This map must be pretty unique in the world collection of "Chianti wine"
maps: honestly I do not see the point of showing the territory of
Castellina, Radda and Gaiole in blue, while the rest of the Chianti Classico
area is depicted in red.
This map is about Chianti subzones (I beg pardon for my poor English),
so actually I find at least superfluous to make a distinction between the
named three municipalities and the rest of the Chianti Classico area.
A map illustrating the different production areas of Chianti wines should in
first place provide a clear indication of the *current* boundaries of the
different subzones. Using the "blue" pencil for Castellina, Radda, and
Gaiole at most might serve an aspect of historical relevance.
At any rate consumers and wine lovers have to understand that the Chianti
Classico production area is -for what concernes wine- *one* without any
formal distinction between its internal territories. I would find
preferable not to mix all in a map strict regulations about wine producing
areas with other things which matters to history.

> The blue-striped area is what corresponds to the actual Chianti
> _district_, i.e. to the _geographical_ area known as Chianti,
> administratively known as "Lega del Chianti" from the end of 13th
> century to the end of 18th century

As for what concerns the expression "Chianti district" I guess that sooner
or later the only acceptable definition will refer to the "Distretto Rurale
del Chianti" which is an economic and territorial system and -guess what-
once again is not limited to Castellina, Radda and Gaiole.