Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default how long do dried chiles last?

On Mar 8, 1:06�am, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> Emma Thackery > wrote:
>
> >I forgot to mention earlier that I freeze my dried peppers.

> Would that extend their useful life, or shorten it??

Probably extend it some but who cares if they last ten years longer,
dried capsiums last probably hundreds of years out in the open anyway,
so long as they're kept well dried. People who live in the arid
regions where they're grown hang them out in the sun for years and
they stay just fine. I had a big bunch of jalapenos I grew hanging in
my kitchen to dry, they were there three years when finally I decided
to crush them, talk about dust and heat... I'll never do that again.
They are still way too hot, at least ten times hotter than the typical
crushed red pepper sprinkled on pizza. I always have to warn folks to
go easy with it.

Sheldon