Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default how long do dried chiles last?

On Mar 7, 5:23?pm, "timbrel" > wrote:
> Maybe this is silly, but in re-arranging my pantry I find dried
> chipotles, other dried chiles, and sun-dried tomatoes. They are old I
> know, but they look--please don't laugh--lifeless. The dried
> mushrooms, that may or may not be as old, still look good. Is there an
> expiration date? I hate to through them out if they can still be used,
> I'm sure I paid a fortune for them at some specialty store. Any ideas
> would be appreciated.

Did you think like maybe to taste some... if kept dry and in a closed
container they'll probably last more than your life time... I'm sure
they're all perfectly fine. I have a few jars filled with various hot
peppers for at least 40 years, still hot as hell... I have them that
long because they're too hot, I've been hoping they'd cool some.

Sheldon