Posted to rec.food.cooking
Virginia Tadrzynski Virginia Tadrzynski is offline

Default Fun with Comcast tech support!

"Stan Horwitz" > wrote in message
> In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> TRUE.
>>
>> Tech support?
>>
>> Andy: The giganews usenet newserver crashed.
>>
>> Jessica: Did you disable your antivirus protection?
>>
>> Andy: I'll bet a year's salary it's your fault not mine.
>>
>> Jessica: You should call giganews.
>>
>> Andy: It's a comcast service provided to subscribers,
>> giganews.comcast.net!
>>
>> Jessica: I can't help you.
>>
>> Andy: Can I speak to a supervisor?
>>
>> Jessica: There's no one here. Just the people who walk around to make
>> sure
>> we're doing our job.
>>
>> SHOOT ME!!!!!!

> Sometimes Comcast can have its moments. When the Super Bowl was on last
> month, I decided to watch it at home on my high definition TV, so I
> tuned into the HD channel to watch it and the channel was blank. All the
> HD channels were blank. Ugh!
>
> I called Comcast to complain. The first representative with whom I spoke
> insisted that I did not subscribe to HDTV service. Wrong! I even pay
> extra to have a DVR that can record HD shows and I pay Comcast for that
> DVR. So, off to a supervisor, I went. On hold for five minutes, then I
> am told its the wrong department. I was told that since I live in South
> Jersey, I should have been transferred to another department, so off I
> go on hold again while being transferred. Then talk, talk, talk, but get
> nowhere. Then transfer, hold again. Finally, someone tells me, we are
> having problems with the HDTV channels in my area. No kidding! I finally
> just hung up. A few minutes later when I checked, the HDTV service was
> restored.
>
> Then there was the time several months ago, where for some reason, my
> Comcast DVR started displaying an annoying screen saver at precisely
> 1:00am. I like to sometimes watch TV late at night and this screen saver
> would kick in and blank out the picture with text floating around on the
> screen that said to press any key to continue. I read all through the
> DVR's manual and its online help and I went to the company's web site
> that made the DVR, Scientific Atlanta, and I couldn't figure out how to
> turn off that annoying screen saver. I still haven't figured it out, and
> calling Comcast to have them tell me how to disable it got me nowhere.
> They insist that my TV is doing that, which is flat out wrong. My
> solution will be to buy a TiVo and get rid of the Comcast crappy DVR,
> but I am waiting for a HDTV compatible TiVo that hopefully allows me to
> save shows on external storage. Sigh!

When we lived in Philly we had cable thru Comcast. When we went 'hi-tech'
and got a television with cable jacks we no longer needed the cable box.
Called them to pick it up. They then send me a bill for the box. They kept
billing me and billing me for a box packaged on the floor beside the door
waiting for the pick up they promised me. After about three months of
increasing bills for the cost of the box (hey, I didn't have a problem
paying for cable, I just wasn't buying the damn box that I didn't need) I
sent them a bill. I pro-rated a storage fee for everyday after the original
date they gave me to pick up the damned thing. Needless to say, two days
after I sent that bill to them they picked it up....no charge to me.
-ginny