Posted to rec.food.cooking
wff_ng_7 wff_ng_7 is offline

Default Fun with Comcast tech support!

"Andy" <q> wrote:
> TRUE.
>
> Tech support?
>
> Andy: The giganews usenet newserver crashed.
>
> Jessica: Did you disable your antivirus protection?
>
> Andy: I'll bet a year's salary it's your fault not mine.
>
> Jessica: You should call giganews.
>
> Andy: It's a comcast service provided to subscribers,
> giganews.comcast.net!
>
> Jessica: I can't help you.
>
> Andy: Can I speak to a supervisor?
>
> Jessica: There's no one here. Just the people who walk around to make sure
> we're doing our job.

I know I shouldn't have said anything, or I'd be cursed. Shortly after
posting my other reply to this topic, I started having problems with my
Verizon DSL connection. All network activity was extremely slow. Traceroute
showed a delay of 2,000 ms at the first hop. That was about 10 PM last
night. I thought it would go away by morning, but it didn't. I called
Verizon tech support and went through support hell. I'm pretty familiar with
the computers and networking, having worked in that field for 30 years. I
was pretty sure the issue was at the central office end of my DSL
connection.

I "humored" them and went through all the motions. Disconnected my router
and connected directly to the modem. Used a second computer directly
connected to the modem. Eliminated the two computers and router from being
the problem. So it was the DSL modem or upstream. The DSL modem status
lights looked completely normal. I tried my best to get them to investigate
the central office end and upstream. No go, they either wouldn't or
couldn't. So I needed a new DSL modem. Then the kicker... they wanted me to
pay for it! No way.

I asked for a supervisor and finally got one on the line. I went through all
we had done. I told her as far as I am concerned the modem was Verizon's
responsibility. I told her I really don't want to start calling the other
end of Verizon (from the top) and work down to get the problem solved. She
transfered me to someone who immediately said he would send a new modem
right out. I had told him I expected the problem to correct itself before
the new modem ever arrived, since I believe the problem is at their end.

So I'm getting a new DSL modem for free and have the confirmation number for
the order. It took 2-1/2 hours on the phone to get to this point.

About a half hour after the close of this series of conversations (tech rep,
supervisor, customer retention), I test again. Wouldn't you know, I'm back
up to full speed and everything is A-OKAY. I'm not calling to cancel the
free modem order yet, but will let it ship. I'll inform them of the status
at the time I receive the modem. I expect the status will continue to be as
I see it now... the problem was at their end in the central office.