Posted to rec.food.cooking
wff_ng_7 wff_ng_7 is offline

Default Fun with Comcast tech support!

"Andy" <q> wrote:
> TRUE.
>
> Tech support?
>
> Andy: The giganews usenet newserver crashed.
>
> Jessica: Did you disable your antivirus protection?
>
> Andy: I'll bet a year's salary it's your fault not mine.
>
> Jessica: You should call giganews.
>
> Andy: It's a comcast service provided to subscribers,
> giganews.comcast.net!
>
> Jessica: I can't help you.
>
> Andy: Can I speak to a supervisor?
>
> Jessica: There's no one here. Just the people who walk around to make sure
> we're doing our job.

One of the typical tech support scripts I used to get, no matter what the
problem was, asked me to reboot my computer and power off and on my modem.
If that didn't work, they'd ask me to reinstall Windows. I guess they put
that into the script to get rid of the customer for awhile... a long while!

What amazed me about the whole "Windows" world is that "control-alt-delete"
was a completely acceptable solution to virtually every problem. Coming from
a commercial data processing world, where computers stayed up for months and
at times over a year at a time, rebooting was not considered a reasonable
solution to problems. Luckily Windows has improved dramatically over the
years, and might some day even achieve the reliability of those older
systems.