Posted to rec.food.cooking
King's Crown King's Crown is offline

Default Torresmos (Portuguese Garlic Roasted Pork)

"Puester" > wrote in message
> King's Crown wrote:
>> I make the below recipe once a year for my Portuguese husband. He loves
>> it. To me the meat is tough and dry, but very tasty. I've tried cooking
>> it less, but then you don't get the lovely browned flavor. Wondering if
>> anyone had any other suggestions to make it more tender and not so dry.
>> I have my MILs recipe, but she passed away 6 months after we were married
>> and I never got to do any cooking with her. Lynne
>>
>> Torresmos (Portuguese Garlic Roasted Pork)
>>

> (recipe snipped)
>

> Interesting, Lynne. My grandmother used to make torresmos by rendering
> what was mostly pork fat (that had been marinated) until all that was left
> was "cracklings".
>
> In my experience, most meats are served "well-done" in Portuguese cuisine.
>
> The strange thing about Portuguese cooking is that it is a very small
> country but recipes change tremendously from one town to the next and from
> one family to the next, and this doesn't even include Madeira and the
> Azores Islands.
>
> gloria p

They are from the Azores. I also made a Portuguese beans recipe last night
and my American taste buds thought it needed something to perk up the
flavor. My husband tasted them and said they were great reminded him of his
mother's and grandmother's beans. So, I said I'd leave them as is since he
enjoyed them so much.

Lynne