Posted to rec.food.cooking
King's Crown King's Crown is offline

Default Torresmos (Portuguese Garlic Roasted Pork)

"jacqui{JB}" > wrote in message
> "King's Crown" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
>> I make the below recipe once a year for my Portuguese
>> husband. He loves it. To me the meat is tough and dry,
>> but very tasty. I've tried cooking it less, but then you don't
>> get the lovely browned flavor. Wondering if anyone had any
>> other suggestions to make it more tender and not so dry. I have my MILs
>> recipe, but she passed away 6 months after
>> we were married and I never got to do any cooking with her.
>>
>> Torresmos (Portuguese Garlic Roasted Pork)
>>
>> 4-pound boneless pork butt, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
>> Salt and freshly ground pepper

> Sounds to me like your meat doesn't have any fat to stand up to the
> longish cooking. All the pork in the US that I've seen is very lean; it
> was a revelation to move to Denmark and discover that yes, pork roasts can
> have some marbling in them. See if you can find a local butcher who can
> provide such a thing for you. Your dish will be the better for it. If
> you can't get a roast, you might see if he can provide you with neck
> cutlets, which have nice marbling, and when you cube the meat, don't trim
> away all the fat.
>
> And the recipe looks great, btw -- I'm going to try it!
> -j

The recipe is great! Despite the dryness it gets scarfed down every time I
make it. I have to admit the pieces with the fat are my favorite and I pick
through to find them. DH hates fat on any meat. I've never seen someone so
meticulous about removing the slightest bit of fat from meat in stews, on
steaks, on chicken. It's kind of weird in my opinion. Not that I don't
remove fat myself, but the tiniest bit on a piece of stew meat doesn't make
me get out a knife and carve it up like a talented surgeon.

So, I love the idea of more marbling and will try it. We'll see what DH
does with the added fat. I may have to make two batches ... the tasty dried
out one for him and the tasty moist one for me.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Lynne