Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Torresmos (Portuguese Garlic Roasted Pork)

On Feb 28, 11:54 pm, "King's Crown" > wrote:
> I make the below recipe once a year for my Portuguese husband. He loves it.
> To me the meat is tough and dry, but very tasty. I've tried cooking it
> less, but then you don't get the lovely browned flavor. Wondering if anyone
> had any other suggestions to make it more tender and not so dry. I have my
> MILs recipe, but she passed away 6 months after we were married and I never
> got to do any cooking with her. Lynne
>
> Torresmos (Portuguese Garlic Roasted Pork)
> [snip ingredients]
> Remove the pork from the marinade. Add the pork to large roasting pan
> season with salt and pepper and cook in a preheated 375°F (190°C) oven for 1
> hour. Turn the pork often to keep it moist. Reduce the heat to 325°F (160°C)
> and cook an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until the pork is nicely
> browned. Serve with Classic Portuguese Beans.

You're roasting it dry and mostly at high heat so the chances of
drying it out are high. You might try longer, slower roasting, such
as 30 minutes at 375°F - 400°F followed by about 75 minutes at 325°F.
At that point check for doneness and continue roasting only until just
cooked all the way through.

If that doesn't work you might try switching to browning on the
stovetop. After the marinating, dry the cubes and brown them well in
fat over medium high heat. Then cover the pot and place in a 325°F
oven until done. Check in an hour. -aem