Posted to rec.food.cooking
King's Crown King's Crown is offline

Default Torresmos (Portuguese Garlic Roasted Pork)

> wrote in message
ps.com...
On Mar 1, 2:54 am, "King's Crown" > wrote:
> I make the below recipe once a year for my Portuguese husband. He loves
> it.
> To me the meat is tough and dry, but very tasty. I've tried cooking it
> less, but then you don't get the lovely browned flavor. Wondering if
> anyone
> had any other suggestions to make it more tender and not so dry. I have
> my
> MILs recipe, but she passed away 6 months after we were married and I
> never
> got to do any cooking with her. Lynne
>
> Torresmos (Portuguese Garlic Roasted Pork)
>
> 4-pound boneless pork butt, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
> Salt and freshly ground pepper
>
> Marinade
> 1/2 pound medium-hot red chiles, seeded and stemmed
> 1 tsp salt
> 4 tablespoons paprika, sweet or hot depending on preference
> 10 cloves garlic, chopped
> 1/2 cup white wine
> 1/4 cup red wine
>
> Place the chiles and salt in the bowl of food processor fitted with a
> metal
> blade and pulse until minced. In a large bowl, combine the minced chiles
> with the remaining marinade ingredients. Add the pork pieces, turning to
> coat well. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours.
>
> Remove the pork from the marinade. Add the pork to large roasting pan
> season with salt and pepper and cook in a preheated 375°F (190°C) oven for
> 1
> hour. Turn the pork often to keep it moist. Reduce the heat to 325°F
> (160°C)
> and cook an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until the pork is nicely
> browned. Serve with Classic Portuguese Beans.
>
> Serves 6 to 8

Try covering the pan for the last half of the cooking.. and I'd use a
smaller, heavier pan.. sounds sort of like Mexican carnitas (oven
style)..

Ted

I make great carnitas and it did cross my mind to do the cooking in a
similar fashion. I cook the pork in broth first until thoroughly done then
shred it and put in the oven for browning. This meat isn't marinaded
though. So, I wondered how I would precook it like the carnitas and still
get the marinaded flavor. I thought maybe I'd cook it in the marinade, but
afraid it would be TOO vinegary (is that a word ). If I cooked the
marinaded meat in broth would it defeat the purpose of the marinade and
dilute the flavor. So, then I thought maybe a watered down marinade/broth
might work. I'll just have to experiment it looks like.

Thanks for helping to point me in a direction!

Lynne