Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Thorson Mark Thorson is offline

Default Oops, I left a pot of tomato sauce out all night

levelwave wrote:

> I cooked up a big pot of tomato sauce last night for my dinner
> tonight... well, I woke up this morning and realized I had left it on
> the stove all night (covered - off the heat). It stayed out about 8
> hours and the pot was room temp by the time I woke up this morning...
> I placed the pot back in the fridge before heading off to work. If I
> boil it when I get home will it still be ok to eat?

If it had no meat in it, no problem.

If it had meat in it, then you need to work out
the value equation:

value of sauce > probability of killing you x value of your life

Let's say the sauce is worth $10, the probability of it
killing you is 1%, and the value of your life is $100,000.

$10 > 0.01 x $100,000
$10 > $1000

Whoa! That's not right! It's off by a
a factor of 100. Even if we reduce the risk
to 0.1% and devalue your life to $20,000,
eating the sauce does not satisfy the value
equation.