Posted to rec.food.cooking
Emma Thackery Emma Thackery is offline

Default What do with the carrot pulp (or ny other pulp) after juicing?

In article >,
Peter A > wrote:

> If you eat the carrot pulp and also drink the juice, you will (miracle
> of miracles) actually get the nutritional benefits of carrots.
>
> There's a lot of good stuff in that pulp. The juicer manufacturers have
> really fooled most of the public into thinking that drinking the juice
> is as good as eating the whole item.

I've seen many ads for both juice and juicers that claim juice is
actually healthier for you by "concentrating" the nutrients. I can't
imagine that could possibly be true. The notion that plant nutrients
are carried mainly or only in the liquid parts of the plant makes little
sense to me. I can see not eating parts of a plant that are essentially
inedible (tough skins, shells, bitter rinds, etc) but throwing away the
solid or fibrous parts of an otherwise tasty food seems awfully wasteful
from both a nutritional and economic POV--- though I guess it is a
solution for people who cannot chew or who are on a medically prescribed
liquid diet.

Emma