Vox Humana

Default Stronger Than Dawn Power Dissolver?

"Kim Grauballe" > wrote in message
k...

> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
>
> >snip<

> > I would be interested if anyone has any experience on using a lye

solution
> > to clean cookware. My main interest would be for the drip pans and

grates
> > on my stove. I only clean my cookware about two or three times a year,

> but
> > the stove could use a more frequent cleaning. Oven cleaner can get
> > expensive buy lye is cheap.

> Sure, lye works alright, but why bother. If the pans and grate are
> detachable, it's much easier to stick them in a large plastic bag, and

pour
> in an oz or two of triple strength ammonia water. Close the bag tightly,
> and leave it for a couple of hours, or longer depending on how dirty, then
> you can practically wipe off the burned grease and everything with a

little
> water and no effort.
>
> Kim

I've tried the ammonia, and it doesn't work as well as oven cleaner (lye.)
I think I will get a big plastic container and mix up a saturated solution
of lye and use it as a dip. I would like something more economical and
convenient than cans of oven cleaner and something that works better than
ammonia.