Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Substitute for sake?

"stark" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> This question has been asked a million times, I think, but I
>> don't
>>
>> see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for
>> the sake?
>>

> I'd go with dry white wine, vermouth, even a splash of vodka.
> Sherry
> is sherry. Similar to Chinese wine but not sake. Sherry's a
> distinct
> flavor, nutty, salty, whatever. I don't think sake could ever
> dominate a dish like sherry can. I can even taste sherry in
> some rioja
> wines and they're grown and bottled hundreds of miles apart.
> Over-
> active imagination? Maybe.

I guess your sensitivity to "sherry" is greater than most but
there are many types of sherry. In general, the light colored
ones have more subtle or less obvious tastes. Thus I would not
use a brown sherry as a replacement for sake. Of course,
sometimes you do want a strong flavor. It's not sherry but think
of Veal au Marsala.

--
James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland