Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ken Davey Ken Davey is offline

Default Another Canadian Mad Cow

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Ken Davey wrote:
>>
>> id=9184296B-D4ED-49A2-A173-AEB0DD18A6CE
>> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>> > Even though cattle remains were banned from cattle feed
>> > ten years ago, new cases of Mad Cow Disease continue to be
>> > found.
>> >
>> > http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/st...w-alberta.html

>> And your point is?
>> BSE (mad cow disease) is a naturally ocurring thing. It was accelerated
>> by the idiotic practice of feeding animal 'remains' to cattle that
>> normally feed on vegetation.
>> There is nothing abnormal about the odd diagnosis of this condition.
>> And this does not, in any way, indicate a higher risk in the food chain.
>> This (vanishingly small risk) has always been present. The only change
>> has been the awareness of the disease and the vigilance to keep any
>> suspect animals out of the human (and any other) feed source.

> What evidence do you have that it was present
> in North American herds before being introduced
> from Europe? It was not here before it was
> introduced, but it's here now and it's spreading.
> We're in the early stages of an epidemic which
> will only get worse as time passes.

The problem with this approach is that there *is* no evidence as there was
no recognition of this disease prior to 1987.
Similar diseases such as scrapie in sheep were recognized centuries ago. Its
presence in humans (CJD) also has a long history.
Recognition of the problem has resulted in rather thorough testing in some
jurisdictions.
There is every reason to believe (as some research is suggesting) that it
can arise spontainiously.
Time will tell as new discoveries are made in this field .
The statement "We're in the early stages of an epidemic..." is totally
without basis in fact!

Regards.
Ken.