Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default To brown or not to brown? Using uncooked chicken backs & wings for soup.

In article >,
Leonard Blaisdell > wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > I never brown my chicken for soup.

> Neither do I. I also chuck turkey carcasses after getting the meat and
> dressing out of them. I don't like the fried or roasted taste of poultry
> in stock. I didn't mention my preferences in my original post.
>
> > I always brown my beef bones for
> > soup. Go figure.

> Beef bones are outrageously expensive here. They used to give them away.
> I'm reduced to browning the hell out of a cut of meat and simmering it
> for several hours for stock. Well...I also enjoy the meat.
>
> leo

No kidding. That's become the way with lots of cuts -- oxtails used to
be cheap. Chicken wings used to be cheap-er. I like boiled beef, too,
in soup only, though. I make my vegetable soup in two steps: the stock
first, with onion and peppercorns, a bit of celery. Then strained and
defatted. Then, later, with vegetables added, and the meat. I use a
little tomato powder in it, too.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - Winter pic and a snow pic