Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment
Joe Doe Joe Doe is offline

Default "Variable heat" electric range available anywhere?

In article >,
"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote:

> wrote:
>

> > Exactly right. I think what the OP might want to look at is
> > an inductive cooktop. Expensive, and I'm not sure how they
> > achieve their variable heat settings, it may just be a duty cycle
> > switching type of control also, but they are supposed to have
> > very steady heat control.

> The very few experiences I have had with induction cook tops showed me
> that they have an on/off duty cycle that controls the heat production.
>
> Matthew

The Luxine units claim to cycle at variable power so even though they
pulse off and on have greater range of control.

This is illustrated by them in their "chocolate test" where they melt a
bar of chocolate on the lowest setting of their burner vs that of a
competitor. The competitors seized the chocolate because it was pulsing
at 3500 Watts while the Luxine did not because it was pulsing at 700 W.
I think Viking markets Luxine induction units so that might be a place
to research this.

The above is found buried in the text of this article:

http://www.appliancedesign.com/CDA/A...0VgnVCM100000f
932a8c0____

I do not know it this applies to all units or the specific model in the
article. The OP might want to call Viking.

Roland