Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment
wff_ng_7 wff_ng_7 is offline

Default "Variable heat" electric range available anywhere?

"Mark Lloyd" > wrote:
> The old electric stove my grandmother had had one burner that was
> thermostatically controlled. The other burners didn't have knobs, but
> rows of buttons (labeled something like "high", 'med-high", "medium",
> "med-low", "low", "simmer", "warm", "off"). BTW, it also had a 120V
> outlet on it. I guess people usually didn't have enough countertop
> outlets then.

I know I've lived on one or more houses as a kid that had the push button
controls for the surface elements. The last one I remember my parents
replaced in 1965, so the stove must have been from the 1950s or even late
1940s. I think push button controls were gone by the mid 1960s.

I do have a 120V outlet on my gas stove, circa 1973. It comes in handy since
the nearest outlet on that side of the kitchen is six feet away. The house
was built in 1963.