Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment
Lou Decruss Lou Decruss is offline

Default "Variable heat" electric range available anywhere?

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 13:58:55 -0600, Chris Friesen
> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:22:38 -0600, "Steve Barker"
>> > wrote:

>>>I think the main question here is why would anyone who does any serious
>>>amount of cooking want an electric range to begin with? No real cooking can
>>>be done on them.

>> Nonsense. Maybe 50 years ago, but today electric smoothtops have
>> just as much heat and control as gas.

>There's an element of truth to it.

Nice pun.

>Unless you use an induction element,
>you cannot turn an electric element *down* quickly...it takes some time
>for the heat in the element to dissipate.

I did mention smoothtop. The disk on a good quality pan will hold
heat longer than the glass. The element is on or off.

>Also, commercial-grade gas ranges have heat outputs that far exceed
>electric ranges (and indeed most residential gas ranges). This can be
>useful for some types of cooking.

This is very true. But I don't think the OP was referring to a
commercial setting.

Lou