Old 13-02-2007, 09:23 PM posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment
Lou Decruss Lou Decruss is offline

Default "Variable heat" electric range available anywhere?

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 13:58:55 -0600, Chris Friesen
wrote:

Lou Decruss wrote:
On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:22:38 -0600, "Steve Barker"
wrote:

I think the main question here is why would anyone who does any serious
amount of cooking want an electric range to begin with? No real cooking can
be done on them.

Nonsense. Maybe 50 years ago, but today electric smoothtops have
just as much heat and control as gas.

There's an element of truth to it.

Nice pun.

Unless you use an induction element,
you cannot turn an electric element *down* quickly...it takes some time
for the heat in the element to dissipate.

I did mention smoothtop. The disk on a good quality pan will hold
heat longer than the glass. The element is on or off.

Also, commercial-grade gas ranges have heat outputs that far exceed
electric ranges (and indeed most residential gas ranges). This can be
useful for some types of cooking.

This is very true. But I don't think the OP was referring to a
commercial setting.

Lou