Posted to alt.religion.the-last-church,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.food.restaurants
Dutch Dutch is offline

Default Easy McTarget

"Martin Willett" > wrote in message
> Dutch wrote:
>> "Pete <(.¿.)>" > wrote
>>> On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 15:47:48 +0000, Martin Willett

>> [..]

>>> Not if we care enough to go veggie. There will be more than enough
>>> food to share, if we care enough to share. If you don't care now,
>>> you'll never care. That's not our fault.

>> That is just vegan rhetoric.There's more than enough food for the world
>> now, the problem of hunger is not the result of a lack of food, it's a
>> result of of economic, political, logistic, and climatic factors, not due
>> to a worldwide food shortage. If everyone truly "cared" the problem could
>> be solved today.
>>

> That is why vegetarianism is such a bad idea. If you want to feed the
> world just do it. There's nothing stopping you except money and political
> will. Meat is irrelevant. Don't wait for everybody to change to a
> lifestyle you show to be so unattractive. What is the point of being a
> vegetarian when everybody is? Nobody will notice. Nobody will care. You
> won't be special any more. The animals haven't noticed, they never will.
> Nobody will thank you.
>
> If the whole world does become vegan what will the shock-troops of
> veganism do with their surplus moral outrage? That doesn't bear thinking
> about, does it? But don't worry, everybody knows it isn't going to happen.
> You're as safe being a vegan as you are being an anarchist or a Jehovah's
> Witness: for all you whinge on about how wonderful it will be you can be
> confident that it will never actually happen and you can carry on feeling
> superior to the rest of the population and having your own little hobby.

I could not agree more. Much of the world's population that are barely able
to scrape out an existence rely largely on hunting for small animals like
rodents and keeping low-maintenance animals like chickens and goats. If
these extremist vegan dreamers had their way we would be airlifting organic
rice and carrots to every remote corner of Africa and Asia. What a bunch of
nonsense. The whole thing is a poorly constructed house of cards.