Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Shen Shen is offline

Default Thiamine (B1) Deficiency and Tea Consumption

On Feb 8, 7:24 pm, Alvin Slyppe > wrote:
> On 8 Feb 2007 08:34:49 -0800, "Shen" > wrote:

> >> Thanks -- have a nice weekend then

> >> Ozzy

> >Ozzy,
> >This is the initial list of data. I also refer to JAMA< Lancet and
> >Medline abstracts. The National Institute of Health substanciates in
> >six abstrats, as well. Most of these studies refer to consumption of
> >one quart to two liters daily.
> >http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...t-thiamin.html

> >http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...eve&db=PubMed&...

> >http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/74/6/808

> >http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/ART02760

> >http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:...ielo.br/pdf/ab...

> >http://www.longevinst.org/nlt/newsletter19.htm

> >http://www.appliedhealth.com/nutri/page5964.ph

> >http://www.innvista.com/HEALTH/nutri...itamins/b1.htm

> >http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/thiamin/

> >http://www.medal.org/visitor/www%5CA...2.01%5Cch12.01....

> >http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...eve&db=PubMed&...

> >qjmed.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/55/1/15.pdf

> >Shen

> I don't see any mention of "1 quart to 2 liters per day" in any of those
> references, let alone "most of them".
>
> Some of these references do not mention tea at all.
>
> When references mention tea, there is little or no supporting data in those
> references, and coffee is usually referenced as well. There are statements
> to the effect that tea/coffee/betelnuts could be a problem, but no clinical
> data. In other words, no evidence is put forth.
>
> In references addressing populations at risk, the subjects at risk seem to
> be severely nutritionally compromised at the outset, with tea being a very
> minor part of it. Beriberi patients, alcoholics already exhibiting symptoms
> of severe nerve damage, etc.and who have no access to vitamins whatsoever
> could perhaps be further put at risk by the thiaminase said to be in coffee
> and tea. Hardly the worst of thier problems.
>
> Tempest in a teapot, I'd say.- Hide quoted text -

It's actually taught in basic nutrition courses in Naturapathic and
Medical schools as well as in required courses for Reg. Nutritionists
or Dieticians - polyphenol molecules contain tannin. B1 is tannin
resistant and therefore not absorbed. There are more polyphenol
molecules in tea than there is in coffee or beetle nuts, for that
matter.
Copious amounts of anything can cause problems. WHO and NIH in vitamin
contraindication studies pretaining to vitamin acessibility and
absorption mention this. Any reputable vitamin company or a PDR will
tell you the same. If you delve into the aforementioned abstracts
further, you will find the same.
As a practitioner, I just recommend moderation.
Get a Goggle highlighter - they all mention "tea".
This was posted only as a sentiment to remind everyone to take care.
That's all.
I certainly am not creating any "tempest" nor any tea-drinking scare.
Scarey is not my nature.
I myself drink a pot a day.
I do think, however, we human beings could be a little more aware of
self-care. That's all.
I prefer not to argue.
Shen