Posted to rec.food.sourdough
TG[_2_] TG[_2_] is offline

Default inoculation

On 9 Feb, 14:42, "Dick Adams" > wrote:
> I'll claim some credit for popularizing the term "inoculation".
> if not introducing it, at r.f.s.
>
> But we have clearly gone over the top here. *Inoculation
> means no more than introducing the microorganisms to
> the dough (or whatever else is to be infected with them).

'inoculate |iˈnäkyəˌlāt| verb [ trans. ] ... introduce (cells or
organisms) into a culture medium.'

> Words are used very irresponsibly by bakers. *Like "retardation",
> "proof or proofing", "hydration", to mention a few. *Probably it
> is too late for these, but one may hope that "inoculation" can still be
> saved.
>
> --
> Dicky

Words or 'Memes' the lexicographers genes once introduced into the
environment have a habit of taking on a life of their own.

I think this is a very good word for describing the act of adding
starter to a dough of any kind or stage. Any other words you want to
give to the English Language Dicky?

Jim