Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Alvin Slyppe Alvin Slyppe is offline

Default Thiamine (B1) Deficiency and Tea Consumption

On 8 Feb 2007 08:34:49 -0800, "Shen" > wrote:

>On Jan 18, 9:19 pm, Ozzy <please.answer@NG> wrote:
>> "Shen" > wrote roups.com:
>>
>> > PS- We often use the research done by theLongevityInstitute and UCLA
>> > studies onlongevity. However, I'll be happy to share specifics when I
>> > can get to the data.
>> > Shen

>> Thanks -- have a nice weekend then
>>
>> Ozzy

>Ozzy,
>This is the initial list of data. I also refer to JAMA< Lancet and
>Medline abstracts. The National Institute of Health substanciates in
>six abstrats, as well. Most of these studies refer to consumption of
>one quart to two liters daily.
>http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...t-thiamin.html
>
>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract
>
>http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/74/6/808
>
>http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/ART02760
>
>http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:...nk&cd=30&gl=us
>
>http://www.longevinst.org/nlt/newsletter19.htm
>
>http://www.appliedhealth.com/nutri/page5964.ph
>
>http://www.innvista.com/HEALTH/nutri...itamins/b1.htm
>
>http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/thiamin/
>
>http://www.medal.org/visitor/www%5CA...h12.01.11.aspx
>
>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract
>
>qjmed.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/55/1/15.pdf
>
>Shen

I don't see any mention of "1 quart to 2 liters per day" in any of those
references, let alone "most of them".

Some of these references do not mention tea at all.

When references mention tea, there is little or no supporting data in those
references, and coffee is usually referenced as well. There are statements
to the effect that tea/coffee/betelnuts could be a problem, but no clinical
data. In other words, no evidence is put forth.

In references addressing populations at risk, the subjects at risk seem to
be severely nutritionally compromised at the outset, with tea being a very
minor part of it. Beriberi patients, alcoholics already exhibiting symptoms
of severe nerve damage, etc.and who have no access to vitamins whatsoever
could perhaps be further put at risk by the thiaminase said to be in coffee
and tea. Hardly the worst of thier problems.

Tempest in a teapot, I'd say.