Posted to alt.religion.the-last-church,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.food.restaurants
Martin Willett Martin Willett is offline

Default Easy McTarget

Pete ‹(•¿•)› wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 10:50:45 -0600, Alan Moorman >
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 19:31:45 -0500, dh@. wrote:
>>
>>> From the life and death of a thousand pound grass raised
>>> steer and whatever he happens to kill during his life, people
>>> get over 500 pounds of human consumable meat...that's well
>>> over 500 servings of meat. From a grass raised dairy cow people
>>> get thousands of dairy servings. Due to the influence of farm
>>> machinery, and *icides, and in the case of rice the flooding and
>>> draining of fields, one serving of soy or rice based product is
>>> likely to involve more animal deaths than hundreds of servings
>>> derived from grass raised animals. Grass raised animal products
>>> contribute to fewer wildlife deaths, better wildlife habitat, and
>>> better lives for livestock than soy or rice products. ·

>> I'm not a vegetarian, but here are some thoughts:
>>
>> Most cattle, be they meat or milk sources, are NOT raised on
>> grass. They are raised on grain which costs a LOT in terms
>> of all the machinery used to plant, cultivate, and harvest
>> them. Lots of petroleum burned.
>>
>> Not to mention all the pesticides and fertilizer which are
>> sprayed on the grains to help them grow. Some of these are
>> made from petroleum, and all that factories which burn lots
>> of energy to make.
>>
>> Likewise for most other animals we eat -- chickens, pigs,
>> etc. The amount of energy expended to feed and raise
>> animals for meat is incredible, and unnecessary!
>>
>> Eating vegetarian food eliminates COMPLETELY the vast waste
>> and expense involved in raising meat animals for human
>> consumption.
>>
>> I still eat meat, but there are VERY good arguments for all
>> of us eating vegetarian (only).
>>
>> Alan
>>

> Makes sense.
> --

So what would happen to the farmer growing the crop that feeds the
animals? Vegetarians somehow imagine him being so impressed with your
selflessness that he stays in business growing as much food as he can
and instead of selling it to other farmers or feeding it to animals he
posts it to the starving in Africa out of the goodness of his heart.
--

Martin Willett

http://mwillett.org/