Posted to alt.religion.the-last-church,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.food.restaurants
chico chico is offline

Default Easy McTarget

Alan Moorman wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 17:09:38 GMT, "ontheroad"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Alan Moorman" > wrote in ·
>>>
>>> I'm not a vegetarian, but here are some thoughts:
>>>
>>> Most cattle, be they meat or milk sources, are NOT raised on
>>> grass. They are raised on grain which costs a LOT in terms
>>> of all the machinery used to plant, cultivate, and harvest
>>> them. Lots of petroleum burned.

>>===================
>>Actually, you're wrong. In the US all beef cattle are raised on pasture
>>or
>>range. Then, only 3/4 of those are sent to feedlots. Continuing to buy
>>into the propaganda doesn't make any changes. Grass-fed beef is a
>>growing commodity, and buying it is really the only way to affect a change
>>in the 'typical' production methods.
>>

> Go do the research.

He has. You should. At least then you wouldn't whiff off when confronted
with an opposing view. Or in this case, a set of facts which demonstrates
your view is shallow, hollow, and without a foundation.

> It is a plain fact that the amount of grains (cultivated
> using gasoline, diesel, pesticides and fertilizers) used in
> the "production" of meat for the table is a huge amount of
> the money and resources spent on food.

More "plain facts": cattle are predominantly grazed, and the "resources" fed
to cattle at feed lots are things generally unfit for human consumption.
Not every field of corn fed to livestock equates to a field removed from a
vegetarian utopia.

> If the vegetarian foods went directly to our tables,

They don't go directly to your table. Cattle and pigs, though, can turn them
into protein you can eat. Dummy.

> instead
> of through animals, we would be spending far less or our
> resources on food.

Nonsense. You can't eat the grass cattle eat. You can't eat most of the
stuff livestock eat. Do you realize how much "byproduct" would pile up if
it weren't for livestock production? Your Boca Burgers aren't a 1:1 use of
resource -- I can give you information about soy and wheat protein use in
analogs if you want -- and the byproduct from your fake meat goes to
produce the real thing. So you're supporting the meat industry by eating
fake meat.

> I know these are facts,

No, you do not. You assume they are. There's a big difference.

> but I'm not willing to find and cite
> references.

Which makes you an intellectual wussy. Hardly surprising that you'd end up
promoting vegetarianism.

> You should do the research and you'll find
> that you are wrong.

He has and it shows you're wrong.

> Bye.

Can't defend your position, so you high-tail it. No wonder you're peddling
vegetarianism instead of things that matter.