Posted to alt.food.sushi
Graeme...in London Graeme...in London is offline

Default knife advice wanted

"Greg R. Broderick" > wrote in
message

> "Graeme...in London" > wrote in
> :
>

> > "Seth Breidbart" > wrote in message

> >> What's the proper usage of that? It isn't obvious (or easily
> >> googleable).
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Seth

> > Seth, I hope the link works. F Dick Multicut seems throw up more
> > results.
> >
> > http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fdicfincutfl.html
> >
> > The steel is basically 7 steels in one and will hone your blades to
> > a perfect edge. I bought one on the back of a recommendation from a
> > friend who is a knife dealer/sharpener and have found it to be a
> > worthwhile investment.

> What grit is this sharpening tool? Most (single-bevel) sashimi knives
> need to be sharpened on a very fine grit stone -- I typically use a water
> stone that is 1000 grit on one side for the coarse shaping and
> sharpening, and 3000 grit on the other side for putting the fine edge on
> the blade.
>
> I'm also very concerned that it wouldn't be possible to maintain the
> consistent bevel angle when sharpening a knife with this tool. With
> western-style chef's knives and the like, this isn't such a big deal, but
> with Japanese-style knives, this is a very big deal.

Greg. You are 100% accurate in your comments.

The point I was trying to make, was, the original request asked for a
recommendation for a style of knife, that I assumed Seth didn't currently
own. I merely attempted to state that this steel can significantly improve
existing Western-style knives.

Cheers.

Graeme...who fillets his fish with a 6 inch butchers boning knife