Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Scootz Scootz is offline

Default Made A 55 Gallon Barrel Cooker

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 15:13:15 -0600, Piedmont > wrote:

>I made a cooker out of a 55 gallon barrel as has been discussed in the
>past. They work really well as far as holding temperature and not having
>to turn the meat.

<snipped good info>

ive also made a few of these, cut the top off and dovetail the lid back onto the drum.
bricks, a 30 gal metal trash can lid with a weber kettle charcoal rack in the bottom.
first ring on the drum from the bottom has 4 holes drilled front to back with 2 pieces
of rebarb ran thro. this holds a brinkman water pan and the cooking rack out of a kettle.
second ring on the drum from the top has 4 holes front and back with 2 pieces of
rebarb for a second kettle cooking rack. on the lid, the big hole gets a 4 inch nipple and
a 3 foot piecs of 3 inch doublewall pipe with a cap, the smaller hole in the lid gets a stainless
dial therm. cost, absolutely nothing, made from old grill parts and construction trash.
with 10 or 15 lbs of charcoal in the bottom and feed it a wet stick of hardwood
occasionaly, this baby will smoke some meat. it has 2 small doors cut in the front,
one in the bottom for fire access and one in the middle for water pan access.
both doors are small and wired on with coathangers.

first one of these i made as a teen, couldnt afford a real smoker back then, and even tho i have
a trailer smoker and numerous charcoal and gas grills around the house now, i still keep
and cook on one now. next time i fire it up ill take and post some pics.

its ugly as hell but it works ;]]

Scootz