Posted to rec.food.equipment
Dee Dee Dee Dee is offline

Default Crisco for seasoning cast-iron pans

On Feb 4, 12:21 am, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "Dee Dee" > wrote in message
>
> > Ed, referring to your making pork chops, what I am doing wrong is
> > this: I cannot rinse out with or without a brush and no soap any pot
> > that meat (and veggies) has cooked in. I would not put away other pot
> > I own without washing it with soap, and hoping that high heat would be
> > enough to destroy bacteria. (How high heat do you dry out your pots
> > in the oven after washing them?).
> > Thanks.
> > Dee

> If you are germaphobic, nothing I suggest will help much. The bacteria is
> long gone during the cooking process. The pan is well over the temperatures
> used in sterilization, pots are boiling.
>
> I drain any leftover grease in the pan, then wash it under hot water using a
> paper towel. If something is burnt onto the pan, I just leave it on the
> stove to soak with some water in it and wash it later using the same method.
> I'll sometimes use the sponge with the green scrubbie stuff on it.
>
> Once washed, they are just left to dry. No added heat, no rust as they are
> well seasoned. When you season a pan, the oil polymerizes and forms a
> coating that protects the iron. You should have a nice smooth, black
> coating both inside and outside of the cast iron. No one has ever gotten
> sick from food poisoning in my house.

Thank you. Good advice from both of you and Larry. I have tried more
on the order of Larry's way, seasoning off an on as he does, putting
it in the oven to dry, too, but as I've used soap many times, always
getting left behind. DH is a fan of salt with the egg skillet.

Thanks again,
Dee