Posted to rec.food.equipment
pltrgyst[_1_] pltrgyst[_1_] is offline

Default Crisco for seasoning cast-iron pans

On 2 Feb 2007 22:10:09 -0800, "Dee Dee" > wrote:

>On Feb 2, 11:42 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

>> Once seasoned, the cast iron is good for decades of use with no
>> re-seasoning. Find out what you are doing wrong and you never need Crisco
>> again. I just made pork chops in two pans tonight. They are at least 20
>> and 30 years old and have never been re-seasoned since new.

>... I cannot rinse out with or without a brush and no soap any pot
>that meat (and veggies) has cooked in. I would not put away other pot
>I own without washing it with soap, and hoping that high heat would be
>enough to destroy bacteria. (How high heat do you dry out your pots
>in the oven after washing them?).

Guess I'm in between you two. For most use (like the Lobel's veal tenderloins
last night), my cast iron pans get swabbed clean with a tablespoon or two of
kosher salt and a paper towel, then a quick, very hot-water rinse. If they've
had something acidic in them, like a red wine sauce made after the meat is
seared, I add a quick, thin coat of Crisco (one finger, fifteen seconds). Then
they either go into a 325-350 F oven (if it's already hot) or onto a medium
burner for 15 minutes or so, then turn either off and let the pan cool in place.

I store my cast iron pans nested with a sheet of wax paper in between.

In ten years or so of using these Griswolds, I've never had to re-do the initial
seasoning on any of them.

-- Larry