Old 02-02-2007, 03:26 AM posted to rec.food.sourdough
Samartha Deva[_1_] Samartha Deva[_1_] is offline

Default inoculation

wrote:

[...]
raisen/pecan/date loaf, or a multi-grain near-hippie bread (most of my
bread is simple wheat/white/rye combinations where this it never an
issue)--is that the 30%+/- leaven sponge amount to the final dough
weight carries most of the flour in the recipe. So what I'd trying to
discover is whether my approach might need modification. That is, is
the leaven sponge % always calculated against the final dough weight?
If so, why?

Not sure where you get this from. Normally I think it would be bakers %,
but nobody writes recipes in that manner - they use cups and spoons!

All sound complicated, but why not.

Maybe that's simpler:

Use baker % - all relative to total flour.

With starter, what counts is the ratio of starter flour to total flour.

So you have a clear handle on the starter amount. 15 % or so for white,
higher for rye.

With the other stuff - ingredients, you also go by bakers % - salt maybe
1.5 - 2 %, spices 1, 2, 3 %, seeds maybe 10 - 20. If it's flour, just
use ratios, for example: 5 % full grain wheat, 65 % white, 30 % rye and
deduct the starter flour from that, when you do the final dough.

Water also goes by baker % - dough hydration.

I made this calculator because it was always the same calculation:

http://samartha.net/SD/SDcalc04.html

I thought the reason could be related to the force
(weight) of the dough to be countered (lifted). Maybe I'm far off the
mark. Dunno.

sure - that's a factor. But if you have a recipe, analyze it into ratios
and baker's %, then you can compare recipes. If one does not work well,
change what you think is off.

With your "the final cell populations will be the same" - true:
eventually decreasing and doing a lot of damage on the way there.

Samartha