Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Samartha Deva[_1_] Samartha Deva[_1_] is offline

Default inoculation

wrote:

[...]
> raisen/pecan/date loaf, or a multi-grain near-hippie bread (most of my
> bread is simple wheat/white/rye combinations where this it never an
> issue)--is that the 30%+/- leaven sponge amount to the final dough
> weight carries most of the flour in the recipe. So what I'd trying to
> discover is whether my approach might need modification. That is, is
> the leaven sponge % always calculated against the final dough weight?
> If so, why?

Not sure where you get this from. Normally I think it would be bakers %,
but nobody writes recipes in that manner - they use cups and spoons!

All sound complicated, but why not.

Maybe that's simpler:

Use baker % - all relative to total flour.

With starter, what counts is the ratio of starter flour to total flour.

So you have a clear handle on the starter amount. 15 % or so for white,
higher for rye.

With the other stuff - ingredients, you also go by bakers % - salt maybe
1.5 - 2 %, spices 1, 2, 3 %, seeds maybe 10 - 20. If it's flour, just
use ratios, for example: 5 % full grain wheat, 65 % white, 30 % rye and
deduct the starter flour from that, when you do the final dough.

Water also goes by baker % - dough hydration.

I made this calculator because it was always the same calculation:

http://samartha.net/SD/SDcalc04.html

> I thought the reason could be related to the force
> (weight) of the dough to be countered (lifted). Maybe I'm far off the
> mark. Dunno.

sure - that's a factor. But if you have a recipe, analyze it into ratios
and baker's %, then you can compare recipes. If one does not work well,
change what you think is off.

With your "the final cell populations will be the same" - true:
eventually decreasing and doing a lot of damage on the way there.

Samartha