Posted to rec.food.equipment
Dave Bugg Dave Bugg is offline

Default 14-inch skillet question

Dee Dee wrote:

> On Feb 1, 1:48 pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>> Dee Dee wrote:
>>
>> snip
>>

>>> I haven't yet seen a 14" stainless steel skillet. But I'm thinking
>>> if
>>> I buy a 12" stainless steel for my 11" burner, it may or may not
>>> fit.
>>> A mystery!

>> Hi Dee. Although it is nice if the skillet fits the burner, it is not
>> necessary. My 14" extends beyond my burners at home. I use it when I
>> want a large cooking surface with multiple heat levels. Like a wok,
>> the outer edges are cooler than the area in contact with the burner.
>> I like to do one-skillet cooking with different foods in the pan at
>> the same time. That allows me to move the food, which is near
>> finished being cooked, toward the edge and the food that still needs
>> cooking toward the center. --
>> Davewww.davebbq.com

> Dave, if you weren't or when you aren't doing one-skillet cooking,
> which would you prefer?
>
> Placing a skillet on a smaller-burner-than-the-skillet and assuming,
> depending on the pan of course, that the whole pan would heat evenly
> enough for your cooking.
>
> OR
>
> Placing a skillet on a larger-burner-than-the-skillet with perhaps an
> inch-or-two red-hot-burner blazing away in-your-face.
>
> I just don't like that 'extra' heat showing, although I'm not exactly
> sure why? Burnt fingers, burnt rag? Wasting fuel?; i.e., would it be
> more economical or a more efficient way to cook using a smaller
> burner? Does anyone else feel that way?

I use the pan that fits what I'm cooking; I don't make do with a pan that is
either way too big or way too small for what I'm cooking. After choosing the
pan that I need, then I choose a burner that comes closest to matching the
pan. I don't worry about either too much or too little burner showing; at
least not with pans or skillets.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com