Posted to rec.food.equipment
Dee Dee Dee Dee is offline

Default 14-inch skillet question

On Feb 1, 1:48 pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> Dee Dee wrote:
>
> snip
>

> > I haven't yet seen a 14" stainless steel skillet. But I'm thinking if
> > I buy a 12" stainless steel for my 11" burner, it may or may not fit.
> > A mystery!

> Hi Dee. Although it is nice if the skillet fits the burner, it is not
> necessary. My 14" extends beyond my burners at home. I use it when I want a
> large cooking surface with multiple heat levels. Like a wok, the outer edges
> are cooler than the area in contact with the burner. I like to do
> one-skillet cooking with different foods in the pan at the same time. That
> allows me to move the food, which is near finished being cooked, toward the
> edge and the food that still needs cooking toward the center.
> --
> Davewww.davebbq.com

Dave, if you weren't or when you aren't doing one-skillet cooking,
which would you prefer?

Placing a skillet on a smaller-burner-than-the-skillet and assuming,
depending on the pan of course, that the whole pan would heat evenly
enough for your cooking.

OR

Placing a skillet on a larger-burner-than-the-skillet with perhaps an
inch-or-two red-hot-burner blazing away in-your-face.

I just don't like that 'extra' heat showing, although I'm not exactly
sure why? Burnt fingers, burnt rag? Wasting fuel?; i.e., would it be
more economical or a more efficient way to cook using a smaller
burner? Does anyone else feel that way?