Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] candeh@thelast.mile is offline

Default Cooking frozen meatloaf without thawing???

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 13:41:13 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
> wrote:

>On 31 Jan 2007 08:26:54 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>
>>On Jan 31, 10:51?am, "tomkanpa" > wrote:
>>> How do I adjust the baking time and temperature for cooking frozen
>>> meatloafs? They're all made and frozen raw.

>>You froze *raw* meat loafS... M O R O O N!
>>
>>You're supposed to freeze cooked meat loaf, same as you freeze cooked
>>meatballs. Depending on ingredients you may need to shit can it, may
>>not be safe.

>Don't be silly Sheldon. Of course you can freeze raw meatloaf. I used
>to do it all the time - I'd make up about six pounds of rissoles and
>I'd get tired of shaping them so I'd make the last third into a couple
>of meatloaves to get the job over and done with.
>Just put some liquid (stock, water, extra water in your tomato
>sauce...) into the pan when you cook it so the steam can help it thaw
>out (and to keep it from drying out during the longer cooking time)
>and then cook it at a lower temperature for about an hour, then turn
>the oven up to normal to finish the job.

Yabbut if you have onions, bell peppers and the like in there then
the cellular walls of the veggies will break down upon freezing (and
especially thawing) and it'll taste a lot more shittier than it would
have if you had frozen it cooked.

I haven't posted here for a couple of years but I do feel as though I
need to back Sheldon up on this one. You just don't freeze raw
meatloaf. The action of cooking it screws it up. It's perfectly fine
to freeze a cooked meatloaf, lasagna, casserole etc..

Common knowlege, it is