DawnK

Default Chicken stock and stock pots

"Debbie Deutsch" > wrote in message
. 97.132...
> "H. W. Hans Kuntze" > wrote in
> s.com:
>

> > Just a little technicality, Dawn and congratulations.
> >
> > If you had meat in there, you made a broth.
> >
> > If you only used bones, you made stock.
> >
> > Just thought you might like to know.
> >

> Hans,
>
> Thanks for pointing this out. I had known about the
> different terms,
> but always wondered how one could possibly get a stock
> with a distinct
> chicken flavor since all that is in it is bones (and
> perhaps some
> vegetables and herbs - onion, some carrot for color as
> much as flavor,
> celery, some parsley, some peppercorns, one or two bay
> leaves, perhaps a
> small amount of thyme). When I make broth I always start
> with lots of
> cheap chicken (like the 39 cents/lb. chicken leg quarters
> one can buy in
> 10-pound bags) and reinforce that with the chicken bones
> and scraps that
> I save up in my freezer. (In a pinch I can get chicken
> carcasses for 69
> cents each from the local Chinese supermarket.) I've
> always felt that
> the bones gave body to the broth, but not much flavor. I
> dimly remember
> once trying to make stock (bones only) and ending up with
> something that
> was fairly weak-flavored. I doubt it was not cooking long
> enough, since
> I tend to do things like let my broth simmer over night.
> FWIW, I never
> put any salt in my broth as I am brewing it, since I might
> want to use
> it in a reduced form in some recipe. As far as my own
> ability to taste
> goes, I do know that adding salt does seem to bring out
> other flavors
> too. So perhaps my broth seemed tasteless because it was
> saltless?
>
> Debbie
>
> --
> Anti-spam advisory: The email address used to post this
> article is a
> throw-away address. It will be invalidated and replaced
> with another if
> and when it is found by spammers.

Well, stock then! I wasn't sure of the difference.

Chicken stock

2 pounds chicken scraps, including some bones
Cold water to cover (at least 2 quarts)
1 large onion, peeled and stuck with 3 or 4 cloves
1 large clove garlic, peeled
1 or 2 ribs celery, halved crosswise, with leaves if available
1 or 2 carrots, cut into chunks
1 bay leaf
2 or more parsley sprigs or 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon tarragon
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon dillweed
Salt, if desired, to taste
12 peppercorns or 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1. Place all the ingredients in a large pot with a cover. Bring the liquid
to a boil, reduce the heat, partially cover the pot, and simmer the stock
for at least 1 hour. The longer the stock cooks, the richer it will become.
But don't cook it until the broth evaporates.

2. Pour the stock through a fine strainer, sieve, or cheesecloth into a
fat-separating measuring cup, bowl, or other suitable container. Press on
the solids to extract as much liquid as possible.

3. If using the fat skimmer, decant the fat-free broth into containers for
storage. Otherwise refrigerate the broth until the fat hardens enough for
easy removal. (Depending on the amount of gelatinous protein in the chicken
scraps, the broth may gel at refrigerator temperatures).

To make soup the next day, I heat up the broth, add an assortment of onions,
celery, and carrots. Then add pepper, sage, thyme, maybe more dill and
simmer until the veggies are tender. Then I might add some frozen
vegetables (maybe half a bag of mixed veggies) and some noodles that I
already cooked, along with meat from the chicken we usually had the night
before.. For chili, I cook 1 cup of creamettes elbow noodles. This would
probably work for the chicken soup, too. Lucky for me, we have colorful
elbow noodles, so I will be using those instead.

I usually do the refrigerator method for getting rid of the fat.

Dawn