Debbie Deutsch

Default Chicken stock and stock pots

"H. W. Hans Kuntze" > wrote in
s.com:

> Just a little technicality, Dawn and congratulations.
>
> If you had meat in there, you made a broth.
>
> If you only used bones, you made stock.
>
> Just thought you might like to know.

Hans,

Thanks for pointing this out. I had known about the
different terms,
but always wondered how one could possibly get a stock
with a distinct
chicken flavor since all that is in it is bones (and
perhaps some
vegetables and herbs - onion, some carrot for color as
much as flavor,
celery, some parsley, some peppercorns, one or two bay
leaves, perhaps a
small amount of thyme). When I make broth I always start
with lots of
cheap chicken (like the 39 cents/lb. chicken leg quarters
one can buy in
10-pound bags) and reinforce that with the chicken bones
and scraps that
I save up in my freezer. (In a pinch I can get chicken
carcasses for 69
cents each from the local Chinese supermarket.) I've
always felt that
the bones gave body to the broth, but not much flavor. I
dimly remember
once trying to make stock (bones only) and ending up with
something that
was fairly weak-flavored. I doubt it was not cooking long
enough, since
I tend to do things like let my broth simmer over night.
FWIW, I never
put any salt in my broth as I am brewing it, since I might
want to use
it in a reduced form in some recipe. As far as my own
ability to taste
goes, I do know that adding salt does seem to bring out
other flavors
too. So perhaps my broth seemed tasteless because it was
saltless?

Debbie

--
Anti-spam advisory: The email address used to post this
article is a