Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
The Galloping Gourmand The Galloping Gourmand is offline

Default Mexican food is a ceremony!

On Jan 29, 3:59?pm, "dtwright37" > wrote:

> Linda opened a cantina in southern California in 1999, and some of us
> thought that her bar could be a metaphor for this newsgroup, that we
> would all enjoy sitting around a table at her place, drinking cerveza,
> eating pickled pigs feet and other snacks, and talking in a friendly
> way about our favorite type of food. We could play pool, too.

If some of the guys drank too much cerveza, they'd eventually start a
fist fight...

I don't go to bars for the food. Bar food is just snacks to get the
patrons to buy beer.

I go to bars to hook up with unattached females. Buy 'em a few drinks
and take 'em home and bang 'em.

About the best-behaved and genteel bars I've ever been to were English
pubs.

I was staying at a large motor hotel near the bridges over the Firth
of Forth in Edinburgh, and I dropped by the dining room around 7:00
PM, looking for dinner.

The maitre d' told me I couldn't get seated before 9:00 PM without a
reservation and told me that I should go to the pub downstairs.

I told him I didn't want any damned pub food, I'd eaten something
suspiciously reminiscent of Hamburger Helper at the pub the night
before and didn't want to repeat the experience.

I demanded to know why I couldn't get a table in an empty restaurant
with 200 tables.

He finally relented and seated me. There was a solo lady from the tour
at the next table. I asked her how she got seated and she said she had
a reservation.

I told the tour guide the next day about the incident, and she told me
that I should try to buy an English title. She said I needed to be at
least an earl to go around demanding to get into restaurants without a
reservation...