Debbie Deutsch

Default Le Creuset 11" & 14" Woks

Phaedrine Stonebridge > wrote
in
news

> Most people don't notice the warping until they try to use it on a
> glass or induction top which requires a rolling-pin flat pan. My
> Atlas (carbon steel) wok "looks" pretty flat until you heat it on the
> glass-top lol. The higher the BTUs and the thinner the metal, the
> more likely it is to warp. If yours is absolutely flat, then you are
> very lucky.
>
> Most of the "thin" steel woks I have seen at Asian markets are round
> bottom woks requiring a collar to use on gas and are, of course,
> unusable on a flat-top range. Because you have not had a problem is
> no indication that others will not--- especially if they are using
> higher BTUs than you are. Moreover, one never sees such thin-walled
> woks in use at any Asian restaurant. They use heavy carbon steel,
> usually, for obvious reasons.
>
> For those who prefer or who must get a heavier, rolling pin-flat
> bottom wok, there is the small DeMeyere and the Le Creuset. For those
> who don't, there are many other choices in addition to the $10
> cheapies (caveat emptor) including the Atlas and Joyce Chen (made by
> Atlas I think) woks which have maintained great reviews by the pros.
> These choices are always subjective and there is no one solution best
> for all.
>
> .

Ah, I see what is going on. My stove has electric coils, so small
irregularities that might interfere with use on a flat-top range are not an
issue for me.

FWIW, as far as I can tell, my woks are about the same thickness as the
ones I see in Chinese restaurant open kitchens.

Debbie

--
Anti-spam advisory: The email address used to post this article is a throw-
away address. It will be invalidated and replaced with another if and when