B.Server

Default Le Creuset 11" & 14" Woks

On 04 Oct 2003 19:50:55 GMT, (Sheellah) wrote:

>I've read the pros and cons of cast iron woks, and had decided to get the 14"
>one. I also see an 11" available, but discontinued. The 14" really is a
>monster. Is the 11" too small? It would be more manageable for me, but I want a
>size for at least 2-3 servings. Anyone have one to comment?

Since you have made up your mind to spend a lot of money and heft a
lot of iron, I would go for the 14in. (though I cannot imagine how
much that sucker weighs) My 14in is the one I most often use and is
the smaller of the two I keep. Both are beaten mild steel from a
Chinese market and cost around $8-13.

IMO, any pan whose manufacturer suggests only using it over low or
medium heat, is unlikely to be applicable to Chinese stir frying. If
it is to be used for slow Chinese cooking, you would get a lot more
use out of a small "dutch" oven or braising pan..