Mickey Zalusky

Default Is ventilation really necessary?

Ashley wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We have a 48-inch DCS slide in range with a 48 inch Viking hood. We've
> owned them for 7 years and are now doing some remodeling. We are
> raising the ceiling and making the cooking area an "island"—we will no
> longer use the overhead hood. My question: I've NEVER used the hood
> and wonder if it's really necessary to have some type of ventilation.
> Is it a law (we are in so cal)? Will the kitchen police arrest me if
> I'm caught? I'm willing to buy some sort of downdraft system but can't
> seem to find one that's an add on for a "slide in" type range. I have
> plenty of room on my island for any type of downdraft, just not
> directly under the cook top!
>
> Thanks in advance for any comments or advice,
> Ashley

It's been just a year since we completed a major kitchen remodel
involving all the pro-style equipment. We went the official city
building permit route and made sure we complied with the various city
building codes that applied to our remodel. When it came to the
exhaust, the city said we needed to comply with the manufacturer's
recommended exhaust (so many BTUs based on the total BTUs of our range).

IMHO, when gas or electricity are involved, it pays to go the permit
route...for your own safety, for insurance purposes and for home resale.
- Mickey