Karen Wheless

Default Is ventilation really necessary?

> > serious cooks consider a good outside-venting hood to be an essential
> > element of a kitchen - myself included! It is extremely unleasant to
> > have the smell of sauteed garlic or stir-fried Szechuan hot pepper
> > paste permeatng the rest of the house including the sleeping area!

And it's not just the smell. I live in a small apartment that has no
ventilation in the kitchen (other than opening the front door). The
worst thing is the coating of oil that gets over everything. It's on
the ceiling, the walls, everywhere. It's even on the other side of the
kitchen (which is only a few feet away, but too far to get by simple
splattering). It makes the kitchen impossible to keep clean, if you
cook at high heat or with oil at all.

I had a cheap hood with a carbon filter in my last apartment, and even
that did a decent job by comparison to no hood at all.

Karen