Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nicky Nicky is offline

Default Bobotie

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 17:44:20 -0500, Priscilla Ballou
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Priscilla Ballou > wrote:
>
>> OK, that one's a keeper! Now, how much is 600g in pounds or ounces?

>I used http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/gram_calc.htm to answer my own
>question. It's 21 ounces, which is 1 lb 5 oz, or a little over 1 1/4
>lbs.

Apologies for non-translation : ) Pre-dx, I used to stretch the meat
a little with a slice of bread soaked in milk. Milk and meat often go
together in South African cookery, which strikes me as odd now because
we knew several Jewish people out there who kept kosher - I wonder
what they subbed? It always tasted good... Anyway, back to the point -
if one package of ground beef wouldn't feed the crowd you're cooking
for, it can be stretched by adding sauteed chopped veggies - carrot
and celery would go well, as would eggplant or mushroom. The mixture
might be a bit dry at the end of the frying pan stage, but that's OK -
the egg mix will bind it all together.

Incidentally, the original fruit mixture would be sultanas and dried
apricots, which are of wonderful quality in South Africa. I happened
to be out of apricots, but subbing the cranberries should increase the
polyphenol level, and the apple acts to recycle the vit C so you use
it much more effectively. I think it still works that way when you
cook the apple!

Nicky.
T2 DX 05/2004
A1c 5.5% BMI 25 D&E